Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Days 2 & 3

Well, so much for posting every night!  I had some wireless internet connectivity issues that kept me from posting last night.  Luckily, the old "unplug the modem and router and hope for the best" tricked worked in my favor.  Whew!  So, here I am, updating about my second and third days of my second week of lead teaching.

Tuesday
The big excitement of Tuesday morning was the school Spelling Bee.  Kids had the option of attending or staying back and reading.  Most of them opted to go (no surprise there) and while they were there they wrote down each of the spelling words from the bee in their word study journal.  I stayed back with our CC teacher to supervise the readers.  It was nice to have a small group of kids and a colleague to chat with!  We started writing winter similes in writing and went outside to observe the school garden in it's winter state.  Some students decided it would be recess time instead of observation time, so we had a nice, long chat as a class about expectations.  I explained that this was sort of a "test run" for a longer trip to Owen Woods on Friday.  The kids were really reflective about the experience and seemed to understand the issues.  I said, "I'm concerned about our trip on Friday.  Why do you think I am?"  I liked hearing them share what they thought the issues would be.  I can honestly say that they hit every single one that I had in mind.  I know that they know the expectations and how they can meet those expectations.  The question is... how do you convince them to actually DO it consistently?


Wednesday
Today went by really quickly.  In celebration of 12/12/12 (also known as Aaron Rodgers' Day in Wisconsin) our entire morning meeting was 12 themed.  I had students make 12 on the chalkboard prior to the start of morning meeting, we did a greeting where students had to give 12 high-fives and then greet the person, and we did a quick activity involving 12 jumping jacks, 12 arm circles, and 12 push-ups.  Reading was a bit disappointing because there are a couple of kids who still aren't getting their reading group work done.  We've reinforced the expectation several times, but they "forget" to read their book group book and read something of their choosing instead.  It's frustrating! 

I had to leave right after writing to head to campus.  I've been having some trouble with the files on my flashdrive for my e-portfolio, so I met with an EPCS rep to smooth over some issues.  Luckily, I got it worked out!  I then went to my last ever class as a UW undergrad.  It is so surreal!  I made chocolate chip cookies and dip with pretzels to share with my classmates.  My supervisor made homemade Chinese dumplings- so yummy!  We shared one of our portfolio standards and chatted.  It was nice! 

I still cannot believe that I graduate from college on Sunday.  How does time move so slowly and so quickly simultaneously?  Amazing.

-BJT

No comments:

Post a Comment