Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Lead Week Prep

I'm having a conversation with my CT right now about what will happen during my lead week next week.  Some of the key areas that I really want to smooth out are:
  1. Being consistent with expectations for every kid.  Even if my favorite, cute little lass is talking on the rug, I have to call her out.  If I call out one kid for doing something, I need to call out all of them for doing that thing *Also, not budging on expectations!  For example, if I say you can't go to the bathroom, you can't go.  No matter how much arguing follows the big N-O, I have to keep it consistent. 
  2. Regulating chair use.  We've had a mini war raging in our classroom for weeks now about when it's okay to sit on chairs and when it's not.  Typically, I don't care if you sit on a chair as long as it's not a distraction and you're still paying attention.  However, when the whole class spends three minutes lining up chairs on the rug for read aloud, it's not going to work.  I have to think of some kind of management strategy for this and stick to it. 
  3. Getting the kids' attention when I need to get their attention.  My CT's tip is to do it 15 seconds earlier than I think I need to.  It's important to crack down on things right away, not after it gets so crazy that they're already lost and I have to wrangle them back.  If I plan ahead for when I need to get their attention, I'll have more time and feel less stressed about making it happen when it's necessary.  

That's all for now!  Going to try and think of a couple more before next week.  I'll have a good weekend with some of my most beloved teachers to problem solve some of these potential issues! :)

Love,
Ms. T

No comments:

Post a Comment